Sharing how we organize our pantry and food storage areas (+ small space tips!)
Never miss a new video! Subscribe to our channel to be notified whenever we publish a new video!
Click “SHOW MORE” if you’re new to our channel and “MORE ABOUT US” for some freebies!
In the homesteading world, when it comes to food, we all talk a lot about topics like how to grow your own food, preservation, and cooking. But what is often overlooked is the storage, organization, and management of all the food we have grown, preserved or stocked up.
In this week’s Pantry Chat, Josh and Carolyn are sharing their thoughts and strategies on food storage organization. If you put up or buy in a lot of food, this can be a real challenge. Come hang out with us for a bit while we discuss different strategies for organizing your food storage systems for canning, dehydrating, freezing and more.
0:00 – Intro and Chit Chat
6:25 – Q and A
6:40 – Preparing your vehicle for winter
7:48 – Do we wrap our pipes for winter?
9:12 – How do you can water at home?
11:17 – Main Topic – How to Organize Your Pantry and Food Storage Areas
16:55 – How to organize jarred and canned goods. Where to store them and what climate to store them in.
20:05 – Where and how to store empty jars.
21:17 – How to set up your canned food rotation system.
22:46 – Group food by type and label well.
23:10 – Storage organization for dehydrated goods and storage tips to keep them dry.
25:53 – Bulk bins and bulk storage tips.
28:52 – Tips for storing food in freezers.
32:42 – Tips for common storage or root cellar storage items.
37:15 – How to store store-bought goods.
38:53 – How to store your long-term ferments and tips for keeping your ferments healthy.
40:40 – How to store cheese and how to store cured meats.
41:30 – How to store preserved eggs.
MORE ABOUT US!
WELCOME! We’re so glad you’re here! We are Josh and Carolyn Thomas. Together with our nine children, we are The Homesteading Family where we’re living a self-sustainable life in beautiful North Idaho. Let us welcome you and show you a bit about us here: http://bit.ly/HFWelcomeVideo
Grow, Preserve & Thrive with us!
Visit our blog: https://www.homesteadingfamily.com
Follow us on Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/homesteadingfamily/
A few highlights you don’t want to miss are our FREEBIES!!
Click any of the links below for instant access to free video training resources:
– Healthy Healing at Home- Free 4 video workshop based on our herb course Herbal Medicine Cabinet: Colds
– Bread Making workshop- Free 4 video workshop based on our masterclass, The Art of Homemade Bread
– Meals on Your Shelf- Free 4 video workshop on canning based on our masterclass, The Abundant Pantry: Canning
Click any of the links below for instant access to these free downloadable PDFs:
– 5 Steps to a More Self Sufficient Life- Simple PDF download on 5 steps anyone can take wherever they are to start a more self-sufficient lifestyle.
– Thrive Wellness Checklist- A simple PDF download for healthy living.
– Permaculture for Your Homestead- PDF download that is an introduction to permaculture with some strategies for applying it to one’s homestead and garden.
– Carolyn’s Cottage Garden herb list- PDF with Carolyn’s favorite herbs for growing at home.
– Carolyn’s Make-Ahead Breakfast Casseroles- Carolyn’s favorite make-ahead breakfast casseroles.
– Your FREE Guide to Preserving Eggs- PDF download with multiple ways to preserve eggs.
– 5 Steps to a Healthy Garden- PDF download with an explanation of what makes healthy soil and 5 steps you can take to improve your garden
– Save the Crumbs- Several Recipes for using bread leftovers, a less committal entry to bread than the workshop.
– Fearless Fermenting- A PDF on basic lacto-ferments.
– Fermenting Tomatoes- PDF download on fermenting tomatoes
– Preserving Culinary Herbs- Downloadable, step by step directions to drying, freezing and salting culinary herbs.
– Render Your Own Lard- PDF with instructions on how to render your own lard.
#pantry #organization #kitchenorganization #pantryorganization #foodstorage #foodstorageshelving